"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Slow and Steady Wins the Race


Little punkin was looking much better yesterday than he has in some time. His swelling continues to "deflate" and his stats remained really stable yesterday. While glancing at him, it doesn't appear that it would have been a day of praise and thanksgiving, but it DEFFINITELY was.

Yesterday morning, Ned opened his eyes and seemed fairly alert without acting agitated for some time. He was able to track about the room with his little eyes (which I'm not sure if I've mentioned, but they are a deep grayish blue- beautiful). It gave me such a sense of connection with him, just to know that he could maybe see that Travis and I were there by his bedside encouraging him and praying for his recovery! They made some teenie, tiny baby steps in moving him off the jet vent and taking him off one of his blood pressure medications. As I have mentioned before, Ned does not accept change well. He requires that they make the absolute smallest incremental changes and then allow some adjustment period following each change (this is a trait he has inherited from his daddy!). Because he is so resistant to change, they have pretty much ruled out surgery this week. I actually think it will be the end of next week at the earliest, but we'll just see how God chooses to work that out. Since the surgery date is completely at the mercy of Ned's body, to me, that is the same as putting it on God's timing since he is the creator and healer of his body.

Travis has developed a love/hate relationship with the medical staff here as they are all UNC fans and he insists on wearing his Duke attire every, single day! The staff had some fun at Travis' expense yesterday, but I suppose, in the end, Travis got the last laugh last night! Below are some pictures of Ned showing off his UNC game gear (compliments of our nurses):


I am heading back to the hospital now. Travis has left to work today and tomorrow since the surgery is out for today and tomorrow. Today, I am just praying that my son can find peace and comfort in the arms of the Lord again today and that he can remain stable through the smallest changes. I pray he is tolerant and that it doesn't upset his little body. Please continue to pray for little Jack and Margaret. I want them to continue to feel loved and supported even though I have to be away at the moment? I'm just praying that I can keep my focus on God and not get bogged down with all the "what if" scenarios. I have to remember that my God is Good, my God is soverign, and my God has plans for Ned ...plans for a future!

I love you all and really miss everyone dearly. I have given much thought over the past several days to "my people" and how God referred to those he held most dear. I have gained a much better understanding of how precious "my people" are to me and what a special place you all hold in my heart. I so long to be close to you all again and I can't imagine how if I long to be close with you, how much more your Lord and creator must long for an even deeper closeness.

Love to you all!

Betsy, Travis, Jack & Ned

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so precious. Hope you all are doing well and getting some rest! And I don't think I have to say anything about last night's game.
Love,
Jennifer

Tricia said...

Wow, Betsy... I actually just read the last two entries... Your last one gave me chills! I think it is wonderful that you are not only experiencing, but RECOGNIZING the workings of the Lord in your life. Just goes to show us that "ALL things work together for good...." Not just the things that are fun or easy.

Cadenne was the same way about "change." I remember being on pins and needles every time they would switch vents, wean meds, etc. More than once they tried to change her to something that she clearly was not ready for. They of course changed her back. These little guys know how to tell what they need.

I cracked up at the nurses' poking fun at your husband. It's little things like that that keep you sane in the NICU!

Thanks for your comments on Cadenne's "cast." You need to do one for Ned, too! :D

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy, Travis, Jack and Baby Ned, and Margaret, Baby Ned looks beautiful, and I am so glad that he got to open his eyes and see his mommy and daddy, I know that there is a reason that the surgery has been put off, and I am sure there is a good reason, especially since change is hard, we will just pray that the doctors will know when the time is right for the surgery and that they will feel God's will while making the decision. I know this is so hard for Jack and Margaret, and they miss you so much, but they will understand, and when all of you get to come home, just imagine how special it will be. All of you will be in our continued prayers and just uplifting you. Sincerely, "The Alexander's" Kim, Donald, Emily and Brock

Anonymous said...

Betsy, Keeping everyone in my prayers. I just wanted to tell you what Jack said today. I was picking at him and ask him how he got so sweet. His reply, "'cause I like sugar and Jesus loves me." I thought that was just SO precious! It was good to see Travis when he pixked Jack up today. Take care of yourself.

Gina said...

You are a little miracle baby and it sounds like you have a wonderful family. You are beautiful! Could we share your blog on Wyatt's site? We will keep you in our prayers and will be checking your blog for updates. You are more than welcome to post Wyatt's blog on your site.

Gina
Wyatt's Mom

Anonymous said...

Betsy, Love the new pic! Wow, I think Ned has grown from when I saw him. He's beautiful so keep giving us new photos from time to time so we can gush.
I just wanted you to know I have been thinking of you and praying for you, Travis, Jack, Ned and all the family. I personally think waiting is one of the toughest things God ever asks me to do. I like to think I can fix everything and fix it NOW. lol Its a good thing God doesn't give up on me when I don't learn things the first time around!
Hope God is blessing you with peace and rest!
Love, Sherry (Ps. 27:14)

Anonymous said...

Betsy - Ned is so handsome! He looks incredibly peaceful and angelic in the picture at the top.

Hope :-)