"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Monday, February 11, 2008

Keeping us on our toes!

Quick change...surgery is now on for Wednesday?! Praise God, there have been no setbacks that have caused the doctors to delay the surgery date. They have just decided to give him another day on the conventional vent and some more time to come off some more of the medications. Thankfully, that gives us more time to get "prayed up", as I have often heard the term used. It basically means to pray to a point of spiritual rest and comfort. To me, it is less of a saying and more of a state of being. It's where we should all live....prayed up!

I want to go ahead and share something God has laid on my heart this morning. I have received several emails within the past several days from people who are struggling with other issues in their lives. Most of the emails begin in a very apologetic tone as if I am being bothered by their request for prayer. Others have even avoided ever sharing with me what it is that is weighing so heavily on them for fear of over-burdening me. While I so appreciate everyone being so sensative and compassionate towards me, I don't want this to become a period in my life that is about me and what I need. While everyone feels a sense that all my attention should be focused on Ned, I want God to continue to be able to use me. After I say this, you may feel the urge to contact DSS, but I hope you'll hang with me a few moments while I explain. I don't need to focus on Ned right now. In fact, there is no time in my life when I need to focus on my children. I have looked back on it this morning and as best as I can find, there is no where in God's word where He directs us to focus on anything other than Him. I am looking to Him knowing that He holds my children. It isn't that I wouldn't love to fix Ned, all on my own, right now; but, that isn't a possibility for me. On a smaller scale, I am unable to cure Jack's cold, force kindness into his heart, make him desire to share his toys or to treat everyone with the same love he shows me? No matter how much I focused my attention on these efforts, I could never be assured that my best attempts would prove successful. How liberating that all I have to do is focus on Jesus and trust my children into his care. Before we came to Chapel Hill, Travis and I prayed that if the Lord wanted to use us in any way while we were here, that we would be sensative to the calling of the Holy Spirit and that we would find our way through our fears to be obedient. We want those oppotunities so that the blessing of the Lord can really continue to flow as our faith is being both tested and multiplied.

I am thankful for the prayer requests that I receive. I believe that as people of God we should rejoice in praying for others. I love knowing where people are in their lives and their spiritual growth and what their struggles are at the moment. I enjoy praying for others because I enjoy seeing God answer those prayers and work in the lives of others. That's how our lives become blessed. I think this is a difficult place to reach in our lives because we do think we can control everything and that our families are our burdens and our responsibility to protect, but there is actually little truth in that. We are all children of God and He holds us all in His righteous right hand!

I'll keep everyone posted on the surgery. In the meantime, the words of this old hymn have been a favorite for Ned and me lately. It so speaks to where we are:

Turn Your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of the world will grow strangely dim,
In the Light of His glory and grace!

Amen!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Travis are truley blessed and you guys are a blessing and inspiration to the rest of us. I find myself looking forward to these emails daily not only for the updates on Ned but for my daily devotions. You guys have certainly helped me in my spirtual growth and with the trials I have to overcome in my life I want to be where you guys are. Know that my prayers are with you.

Love you all
Lynn

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, we should rejoice in praying for others. When you see your prayers being answered in other peoples situations you are in turn blessed and your faith becomes so much stronger! Thats how God has worked through little Ned to strengthen my faith and I'm sure many other peoples also! You and your whole family have been a blessing to me, our sunday school class, and so many others! Love yall and praying for you!

Logan

Olive said...

We'll be with you in spirit and prayer on Wednesday. Surely there are hosts of angels in heaven rejoicing over the many prayers for Ned going up to God!
Pam, Bill and Friends in Richmond, VA

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy, Travis, Baby Ned,and Jack, My prayer has been that Ned's breathing would get better and it has and now he is ready for surgery, I know you must be nervous, although your faith is so strong, our prayers will be with you on Wednesday during and after the surgery. Baby Ned is a fighter don't forget that, he has overcome so much, and I know that God will be right there with him during surgery. I know you don't have time to think about anything else right now, but I think I wrote the wrong number down when Travis left a message for Donald on Monday, call anytime when ever you have time, he is expecting your call. We love all of you, and each day as I check on Baby Ned, I am so thankful for the way that you are doing and trusting in God. Your witness has touched me so much, and I want you to know we are here for you. With much love and prayers, "The Alexander's, Kim, Donald, Emily and Brock