"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

One Surgery Down!!!

Okay....this is going to be short and to the point. We have eaten or slept or seen Ned yet so this entry will be straight medical info. Surgery is over and everything went fine. They were able to remove his stomach, spleen, bowel and liver from his chest cavity and put it back where it goes in the abdomen. During the surgery they removed his appendix for extra space and something on his bowel know as a meckel's diverticulum. Quick explanation: All fetus have the meckels diverticulum during the first trimester, but in 2% of the population, it doesn't dissolve. It doesn't inherently cause any probelms, but later in life it can begin to produce acid in the lower bowel where your body is capable of handling such high acids.....so, they removed it. There was also an area of the bowel that had been kinked up since everything had floated out of it's normal position. The area that was kinked had gone without blood flow and after they unkinked it, the tissue never returned to normal. So, they took out that small area (about 2 inches). They didn't sew the two pieces of bowel back together yet due to the complications with doing that while there was swelling the bowel. For now, Ned will have a little ileostomy bag and they will perform another surgery in 6-8 weeks to put that back together. The good news is that the kink was pretty far down on the bowel track and shouldn't affect his ability to digest and intake nutrition!!

They put in the gortex patch and there was actually a little flap of diaphram that was rolled up near his spine which gave them something to sew the patch to in that area which is the most critical part and normally the most likely area to reherniate.....so that little flap was a huge blessing. God held him completely steady during surgery...his vent settings remained the same and he didn't need any blood transfusions so they expect his recovery to pick up where it left off!!!I think that is all for now....or at least the highlights. They are changing out his fluids and doing some x-rays to look at his new anatomy, then we'll be able to go in and see him!

I'll update better in the morning. Thank you all for all your prayers. There has never been a day when I needed them more! Let's just pray that little Ned's lungs will really start to develop and take off. Dr. Adamson said that he had about 50% of his left lung so we're really praying that all his lung will really be able to function and fix all his pressures so he can get off those meds pretty effortlessly. Okay....this was pretty long....love you all!

Betsy, Travis, Jack & Ned

15 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome news! I am so glad you update this blog so frequently! I check it about 10 times a day.

Jessica F.

Tammy said...

We are continually praying for both of you as well as Ned and Jack. God has definitely heard all the prayers being lifted up. Your faith is so strong and we admire you and you are an inspiration to us! We know that God will use you while you are there because of your obiedence to him. Our prayer is that you will feel the love and prayers that are being made for you, Ned, the doctors, nurses, and all whom you come in contact with. We know God is holding you and Ned very close so just cast all your worries and fears upon him and he will carry the burdens for you. We love you and Ned is adorable. Tammy, Randy & Colby

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! I didn't expect anything less than that from Our Great God! Praise the Lord! Continuing to lift you up in prayer. Krista

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for his incredible faithfulness! So glad to hear the surgery was successful....we have been praying all day. Be sure to take care of yourselves and get some rest. Everyone here will be rejoicing to get such great news!
Sending love and prayers your way, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hi, just letting you know i am thinking of you guys. I know exactly what your going through. My daughter had cdh, coarctation of aorta too. She also has a vsd and cleft palate. this is her site. http://skylacdhbaby.blogspot.com Skyla is still in hospital. 15wks tomorrow. My prayers are with you and your family

Kristy

khbeam said...

Betsy and Travis,

We are so glad to hear that little Ned's surgery went well! Grant wanted lots of details last night, so I did the best I could! God has been doing a mighty work in Ned's little body and I only expect Him to do more and more! Nothing is impossible!!! We love you and are praying for each of you!
Blair, Kim and Grant<><

csmith said...

So glad to hear that everything went well!It sounds like the little trooper is going to be a tough one. Just remember that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers, and that we are right down the road whenever and for whatever you need us. We Love You All! Courtney,Adam,and Lily

Anonymous said...

Betsy, Travis, Jack & Precious little "Elijah Ned", I have just finished reading the entire baby Dellinger blog...my heart is so touched...but not surprised...at God's hand in your lives! (My little boy keeps asking..."why are you crying mommy! ha! ha!...I just say "happy tears"!) You will certainly be in our prayers! I am uplifted and encouraged by your faith and trust in the Lord! There are so many times in the Bible when Jesus has said, "Your faith has made you whole." I was reminded of that in reading the blog and I believe that just as you prayed for that very thing to happen for "Ned"...God knows you have put your total faith in Him and you can rest in knowing His promises are true! I love the pics...he is so adorable! He has alot of "fans" cheering him on and praying for him!!!!! Thank you for all the time involved in writing... God will receive so much glory from this...and so many others will be witnessed to...love to you all! K.Sisk

Anonymous said...

Betsy,

I saw your Mom uptown yesterday and asked about Ned. I told her you folks were in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless,
John Rudasill

Julie said...

Wonderful news.....I expected no less of our Lord. Don't we get so scared sometimes and feel paralyzed? It's during those times that I find it necessary to say out loud...I will not trust my feelings today, they are not trustworthy...they lie to me...today I will trust Jesus. He loves to empty us of ourselves and our ability to fix and control things so that He can be high and lifted up! Keep quoting scriptures to yourself and wrap yourself in his promises. He loves you and He loves Ned even more than you do...now THAT is a kind of love you can rest in!
Julie Heavner De Sa <><

Anonymous said...

You guys don't know me, so I hope you don't mind. I heard about Ned through Jessica F. I have been thinking about him and your family. I am so glad to hear his surgury went well. God bless Ned and his brave parents!

Christy H.

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to see another great example of God's strength placed apon you both, Jack and NED. I am so thankful for the good news and Jason and I are continuing to pray for you all. I know that everything will be ok, because my heart tells me that so strongly. I am amazed by you both and all the wisdom that you all have placed apon other people. Jack and Ned are SO blessed to have you both!
May God continue to bless you both!
Danielle & Jason Wofford

Marie Ferguson said...

I'm so excited that Ned has made it through his first surgery and things appear that he is strong and doing well. I can't imagine the relief you must feel. I continue to pray for you all and hope that you can get some rest yourselves. May you have the peace from God that passes all understanding. To Him be the glory.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Dear Travis, Betsy, Jack and Baby Ned, we are so thankful that everything is going much better than anticipated, but I am not surprised, prayer is a wonderful thing, and your family has so many people lifting you up in their prayers every day. We will continue to monitor each day by the comments, and that is so kind of you to take the time to let everyone know what is going on, and coming straight from you, it is like we are right there with all of you, and actually we are, you are in our daily thoughts and prayers. We are here if you need anything at all!!! Sincerely, The Alexanders, Donald, Kim, Emily and Brock

Shayne Turner said...

Dear Betsy and Travis, how I praise God for His love for us. He has ministered to me through you both through this blog. I praise and thank Him for what He has done thus far with little Ned. Robert and I are praying for you all daily. I can't wait to read the progress daily. God is the Great Physician and nothing is impossible with Him. We will continue to lift you all up in prayer and wait to see what miracles He will do! Love, Shayne and Robert