"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Ned is in surgery

Well, we sent Ned off to his first surgery about 2:30 this afternoon and we expect it to be completed around 8:30. When I say his first surgery that is now because about an hour before they decided to repair his hernia today, the doctors let us know that they think that there is a narrowing in one part of Ned's aorta (which is heart vessel). They expect that it will need surgery as well once he has gotten stabilized following his hernia repair. All of this news was a bit overwhelming for me to be honest. I was already feeling a overwhelmed by the hernia repair today....I really could have waited until we made it through one surgery before we started discussing another. However, I'll have to say, the surgeons and surgical staff here have made us feel as confident and comfortable as possible. I am so tahnkful that God led us to this place to go through this.

For me, today, has been the most frightening part of this journey since his initial diagnosis. I'm not sure why, exactly. It could be partly hormonal, but something about knowing they are taking my son's little body off to cut into it was just difficult for me accept today. It isn't really a fear that God won't protect Ned through the surgery, I guess it's just hard for me to continue to hand him over when he's now here and I can, or could, have my hands on him. Please pray that I will find peace and comfort in the modified version of motherhood I am playing at this time.

Please keep Ned and the surgical staff in your prayers this afternoon. I have gotten somewhat caught up in trying to make sure that I pray for every little detail of the surgery, but the truth is that I don't know enough to try to control the details of the surgery through prayer. So, now I am mostly praying for God's presence to hover in the entire operating room. I have been thinking about how when Jacob was wrestling with God he refused to let go until God blessed him. That's kinda how I feel this afternoon. I am completely exhausted and I want to give into my fears, but I am hanging on to God and refusing to let go and until I receive the blessing of restoring my son.

I'll keep you posted. Love to you all!

Betsy, Travis, Jack & Ned

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will pray for Ned through his surgery. We know God will be with him !!!!Much love Kayleigh-Scarlett

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy, Travis, and Jack,

I am praying now for little Ned...for all those in the operating room (doctors, nurses, assistants, everyone!). I am praying for each of you...especially you today Betsy, as you recover from delivery. I hope you all are able to receive peace from the Holy Spirit...and the rest that He brings.
I love your illustration about Jacob! Yes, I think I have wrestled before too.
What is wonderful for me, is when I don't know what to pray for, the Spirit intercedes....God is good.
Sending love and prayers your way! Sherry

Anonymous said...

All my thoughts and prayers are with you and little Ned and with his surgeons. Hoping for the best possible outcome! Jack has been so sweet this week. He is excited about seeing you this weekend. Remember the story of the footprints in the sand...Jesus will carry all of you through this.

Unknown said...

Betsy & Travis,
Baby Ned is beautiful!!!! We just had a chance to check the website and realized he is coming out of surgery right now. We are praying for you. Love, Summer, David, Kayley & Holden

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy and Travis,

Mom has been forwarding me your emails for the past few weeks. Adam and I just wanted to tell you that we have been thinking of you and will continue to do so as both you and Ned heal. We loved seeing the pictures!

Love,
Lauren & Adam