"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Technical Difficulties

I know I promised to post pictures and video footage of Jack and Ned's first encounter, but I've hit a few snags. For one, there will be no video footage because apparently the "record" button on our video camera isn't working? Not sure if that will be repairable or a reason to replace the thing. It picked a fine time to flake out on me though. I did get a couple of really sweet photos of the two of them, but I have momentarily misplaced the adaptor that downloads the images from my camera to the computer. My best guess is that it is somewhere in my car, but, at the moment, that is like saying it is somewhere on the North American continent....it's may take a serious search effort to locate that....it will be at the top of my priority list tomorrow!

As for an update, Jack was more impressed with Ned than I expected. I really thought he would be completely disinterested in him. He was pretty taken with little Ned, the only downfall is that Jack doesn't have a graceful bone in his body and everytime he tries to touch or hug or kiss Ned, it more resembles a football tackle than any showing of affection. Poor little Ned is going to have to bulk up quickly in order to survive Jack! I was also extremely shocked that Jack seems to be highly protective of Ned. The nurse went to change Ned's diaper or something and he cried a little bit. Jack acted kinda mad at her and said, "Hey, what are you doing to my baby Ned" in a not so friendly tone.

Ned is continuing to do pretty well over all. As of today, he was weighing in at 9lbs. 3oz. so he finally surpassed Jack's birth weight!! Dr. Woods said today that she expects him to back on the growth chart when he is around 4 1/2 months old (He's 3 months today). He'll in the bottom range as far as a weight percentile, but he'll at least be on the chart. I don't think he's behind as far as height goes. I haven't asked, but I know he has practically outgrown his 0-3 mos. clothing so that seems about right to me.

Ned is back on the OR schedule for 04/30, we're just not exactly sure what procedure will be performed. He is having two GI tests between now and then that will help them determine what will be best. I'm really hoping for a g-tube rather than a j-tube and I think since his reflux has been so much better, that is a real possiblity now. Other than that, we are just working on some development things lately. I am trying to teach him to nurse....the doctors have been really supportive of that and I have been surprised because they can't quantify his feedings as well with nursing. I'm thankful though because he seems to take better to nursing than to the bottle- still no major progess in this area though. He has gotten much better at being held up on my shoulder and lying on his side. These seem like such little things, but for him, it's pretty big progress. We are getting into a little bit of a routine.....trying to nurse every 3 hours and taking a bath at 6pm and to bed by 7:30. He is sleeping all night so, of course, the night nurses think he is the best baby ever!

I Promise to post pictures tomorrow. I'm still praying Ned will really start eating and maybe we could go home completely wireless?

Love you all!
Betsy, Travis, Jack & Ned

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Jack finally got to see his brother and I can imagine that he would be really protective...My class work load is slowing down so I would like to come by and see you and Ned this week let me know what day would be good for yall!

Love,
Danielle