"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Who Knew??

First off, to any of you who have emailed me wondering why I don't always update on this blog, it is because I post most of my quick updates on Facebook nightly (almost anyway?). There is a "Praying for Ned (PFN)" group that anyone can join to receive the updates. I mostly reserve my blogging for anything I consider to be of particular interest or that has brought me greater understanding.

As a quick update- Ned is doing pretty well now. We have had a difficult time clearing the last MRSA blood infection, but if his current blood culture remains negative through tomorrow, we will say that he cleared on Tuesday and he'll need to run 10 to 14 days on the antiboitic course from that date. The antibiotics are causing him some severe diaper rash, so we're really working on his southern hemisphere and praying about that!! Otherwise, he is up all day, playing, laughing and learning to make some sounds around his trach!! Every minute with him (and both of my children actually) now I can truely consider a blessing in each moment. I am so thankful to be able to spend time with them....can't wait to get in the bed and snuggle Jack in just a minute!

So I had a friend email me this week and made an off the cuff remark about how it never says anywhere in the Bible that "God won't give you more than you can handle"...WHAT??? I was comletely shocked!! How could something that never existed become such a commonplace saying and belief among Christians. And what does it say about us as a Christian body that we, for the most part, have no idea that the concept isn't Biblical? I have spent some serious time researching this and the only promise that comes close is in 1 Cor 10:13 ...and I quote, " For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin, no mattert how it comes or where it leads) has overtaken you and laid hold on you, you that is not common to man (that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience., and such as man can bear). But God is fiathful and He will not let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with temptation He will also provide the way out, that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently."

For me, trials and burdens are completely different. There is a connotation that comes along with the fall to temptation that carries a sense of responsiblity; however, when you just have burdens and trials in life, they are often completely out of your control both in prevention and restoration. I believe my friend was very correct when she said that God gives us more than we can handle all the time so that we will surrender and become fully reliant on Him so that He can be an active part of our lives working in us and through us. I certainly know that He has given me more than I can handle many times and I have made it clear to Him that I can't take anymore!!But, there is more than survial in these times, there is growth to be found there. I am just praying that in these times, I can keep my eyes focused on Him so I don't miss whatever it is that He is trying to show or teach me.

6 comments:

Cadenne Hope's Grandma said...

You are very right, Betsy. Paul writes, in II Corinthians 12:9 ""My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

I really truly believe that God does not want us to be strong. He wants us to rely on His strength. The only way we can do that is to get beyond our own ability to cope or perform or whatever.

Thanks for sharing that truth! You are a wise woman!

Oh--and I am so glad to hear Ned is doing so well. He'll be home, soon, I pray!

Gideon and Micah said...

VERY glad to hear that Ned is doing so much better! (And thanks for letting us know about the facebook group.)
I think when people say "God will never give you more than you can handle," they usually mean "with the Lord's power," but you are probably right that we need to be more aware of emphasizing that part! We can only doing with and by his strength! Thanks again for the updates, and for sharing your own faith throughout this struggle.

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy and Travis,

Have been following your journey with Ned for the past year ... am thrilled to see he is doing so well since his latest hospitalization ... I work with strong families like yours every day and marvel at your spirit, resilience and reserve every time you face a challenge ... best wishes for a wonderful and everlasting homecoming!

Joan Brennan (Teds Mom)

Unknown said...

I too agree that God wants us to rely fully on Him. After all, He watched His own son die on the cross and had to turn His back. In a sense His hands were tied when it came to helping His Son so that we could have the salvation that is offered.
He does promise to be withs us with every storm and to bring us to the other side.
By His grace, I pray Ned can be home soon and that the whole family can get some relief. God bless.

Unknown said...

Betsy,

I believe you contact me this afternoon (11.9/09) but I did not take down your contact information. Please contact me again at (212) 305-6987 or at
jw2500@columbia.edu

My apologies
Julia

Unknown said...

Quite a few of us have been silently blessed following Ned's fight for living a normal life! Every time I went to the house and knocked on the door I was always met through the side glass with this biggest smiling almost laughing face of you Ned! Such a happy boy full of happiness and cheer! Thank You Ned for your reminder life should be cheerful and full of life! God Bless, your such an angel of God!

Al putnam