"What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the LIVING. Wait, hope for and EXPECT the Lord. Be strong and of good courage and may your heart (Ned) be sturdy and enduring.....Yes, Wait For and Hope For and Expect the Lord."

Psalm 27:13-14 (Amp)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lucky Number 7?!

Well, we have gotten past what I truely expect to be our final surgery. We still don't have a good idea about what caused the first nissen to fail, but this one went off without a hitch. Dr. Adamson secured the stitches with (I think he said polyester) material to help scar tissue grow and more strongly secure the wrap? For some reason polyester doesn't seem like a surgical material to me...maybe I am remembering it incorrectly? They tested the nissen to ensure that a feeding tube would pass through the now narrowed opening. It went through easily where there was some obstruction last time. Maybe that had to do with the problem, only time will tell. Please pray that this procedure will hold up so Ned can begin to learn to eat like normal....that would be amazing!

In the meantime, Ned needs prayers for relief from pain. He has built up such a narcotic tolerance, that they can't seems to get him comfortable following the surgery. Now that he's out of the ICU's, they can't put him on any kind of a narctoic IV drip and the one time doses of drugs just aren't touching his pain. He has been extremely worked up all night and really hasn't rested much at all since his surgery. Please pray that his pain will subside so that the amount of medicine he is allowed to receive will sufficiently allow him some rest.

Please check out Baby Seth's link and continually pray for him and his family. He was born yesterday (delivery was scheduled for tomorrow) and he is having a difficult go of it so far. The surgeons put him on ECMO yesterday afternoon just hours after his birth. His parents are holding up beautifully so far....what a testiment to the sustaining grace of our Christ! Seth showed some signs of improvement this morning....baby steps, but progress all the same! Just please pray that his body will get the rest it needs for his lungs to begin to function better!

I'll post more when Ned is resting better. Right now, I'm cramming between scream sessions....love to you all!

Betsy, Travis, Jack & Ned

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate he's having such a rough time dealing with the pain. I will be sure to pray specifically for his pain to subside. I will also pray for you specially because I know it's hard to watch him in such pain and not be able to do anything. Check out this website for a powerful song on healing and the story behind the song. I thought of Ned as soon as I heard it. Love ya!

Candace

Anonymous said...

Betsy, We are so happy to hear that Ned's surgery went very well. We are on vacation this week so we have been out of town...but you guys have certainly been in our prayers. Pastor and I are praying especially tonite for little Ned's pain...I know this must be so difficult for both of you--and Daddy too, of course. And then there is the lack of sleep and rest. So we just are asking God to give you His precious peaceful presence--and to relieve Neds pain. Also, to allow Ned to enjoy eating by mouth soon.

We are also remembering little Seth and his parents. Its so wonderful that you can be an encouragement to them--because you have been there.

Just think, maybe by next January, Ned will be eating birthday cake and getting all messy and hyper! LOL We love you guys....Sherry
PS...I read this in my devotion today and it blessed my heart:

Thou art coming to a King;
Large petitions with thee bring.
For His grace and pow'r are such
None can ever ask too much!
--John Newton (1725-1807)